Saturday 2 January 2010

rsync

Jump to end, for fix:


Attempting to connect to work, rsync appears to hang. Is the deamon running?

According to the rsync man page, the rsync daemon should get started up
by specifying it in

/etc/services

Checking this file shows around 600 entries. Add,

rsync 873/tcp

where, i presume, 873 is the contact port. My port number was incorrect.

Checking /etc/inetd.conf showed it was empty. I added,

rsync stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/rsync rsyncd --daemon

as per the man page. I then reset the machine, as I couldn't figure out how to send HUP to inetd, given it wasn't listed via ps -A

------------ fix -------------

Don't try to run the rsync daemon in a different way on the host.
At the client, specify the port: eg

rsync -avzrP --rsh='ssh -p123' login@192.168.1.1:/home/me/whatever ./

works.

No comments:

Post a Comment