Saturday 16 January 2010

Ubuntu Jaunty no sound fluxbox, possible utube fix too.

No sound available in my fluxbox, nomatter which sound card I select (and i plugged new usb ones in, and selected them in audacity, to no avail). Then I found

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/simple-guide-to-sound-solutions-for-hardyintrepid-and-jaunty-jackalope-users.html

providing help for those using Gnome. I following the instructions:

sudo apt-get install asoundconf-gtk gnome-alsamixer alsa-oss libasound2 libasound2-plugins padevchooser gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio ubuntu-restricted-extras

The ubuntu-restricted-extras package, it is claimed, can help with websites streaming content.

The help page had plenty of pointers, all using gnome. On exciting fluxbox, running gnome, I
could do:

System / preference / sound

which, according to `ps -A', ran

gnome-volume-control

Executing this from a terminal showed that in spite of alsa-mixer showing no mute, gnome-volume-control was set to mute. How, who knows?

Anyway, unsetting mute, fixed the audio. Now, can I have those three hours of frustration refunded, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment